Monday, October 29, 2012

Crazy Quilts (my comforter)



It is so natural to comfort our babies isn't it? We are made for it.

My kids told me,once upon a time, that mommies (in all fairness dads can comfort too, but they were talking to me the mommy) so mommies are supposed to be squishy contrary to popular health and beauty tips of our time. I seem to be better able to oblige my children's opinion, than the other, even though I do try from time to time to swing to the health and beauty side of things and dwell there.

So all that said, what do these quilts have to do with it? Don't you just love a warm, comfy quilt to cover up with? Follow my line of thought if you will...which may take a couple rabbit trails...

Have you lived enough life to find it has some, shall we say, crazy moments? Perhaps even whole seasons of what seems crazy? Some of you are ok with that word crazy but some of you are kind of scolding me in a protective kind of way, like "don't confess craziness!!!" Which to others probably seems a bit crazy...

I am not sure how else to put it in just a word. It is when the unexpected completely disrupts our life. The life we thought we had some measure of control over. Oh, the life we were comfortable with. It might be a simple thing like an annoying head cold. Or a low tire on a cold, rushed morning.

It might also be big. Huge in fact. Something where your whole life has to rearrange. An ongoing illness in someone we love. A new person enters (or leaves) the household. Depending on the age and condition of the person the change could be a major or minor heart affecting adjustment. There could be conflict in small war like proportion to work through.

Maybe attempting to fit too many things- even good things- into my life. Things I normally like. (I like chocolate but one candy bar is more than enough in a day...hmm...in a week...What if I eat too many of those smooth delicious chocolate bars in one day...let's just say it would get ugly...)So too many things crowding my chance of doing any of them well.

One of my kids may get sick and just need mommy time and lots of it. So I am on hand to comfort them. Hold them. Pray over them. Read to them. And do whatever is needed to get them well.

Or trees might fall on the house in a storm (real life here). As a result work needs to get done. Which means lots of work getting done on said house when I am home. Which means lots of people most of whom I don't know and some of whom I do, are here. Thank God it is able to be fixed! Thank God it is not as severe as a hurricane leaving nothing but rubble.

  But for some reason having others here is so uncomfortable to me...yet does my discomfort mean it is bad or wrong? No. Change, even good change, is not always comfortable. We do need some things need to be unchangeable...That is how God is. Unchanging. But you know how else He is? He is the Comforter. The One who states He will never leave us, forget, abandon or desert us Hebrews 13:5

Jesus tells us:
John16:13 Amplified ...And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever—


John 16:7-14 Amplified ...However, I am telling you nothing but the truth when I say it is profitable (good, expedient, advantageous) for you that I go away. Because if I do not go away, the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener, Standby) will not come to you [into close fellowship with you]; but if I go away, I will send Him to you [to be in close fellowship with you].

  Another from Isaiah 66:13 a Amplified says...
                                                     As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you;
 Matthew 23:37 b Amplified...
... as a mother fowl gathers her brood under her wing...
That is another picture of how God is toward us.


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4



It can be those crazy pieces, dark pieces, happy pieces, frayed edge pieces that God puts together and makes us like a crazy quilt or comforter that He uses to cover and comfort others when they are experiencing crazy times we have had Him comfort us in.




No comments:

Post a Comment